Autumn HollowAutumn Hollow
Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

30 March 2006
  Back to Work
James made boneless pork ribs marinated in Hawaiian Lawry's marinade on the grill tonight. Oddly, the high flame doesn't look any different from the low one and they took almost an hour to cook. Not sure what is wrong.

Later we went downstairs: James was supposed to be placing his built-up models on display shelves and I was supposed to be offloading all the strategy games, but he ended up helping me, so only one part of the "fleet" got unloaded; there are several more large boxes (but then they are mostly packing peanuts, too).

The stuff I brought home from my mother's is still in the garage; I am at a loss of what to do with it. Most of this stuff has been in the attic for twenty years; I suppose I could get plastic storage boxes and keep it on shelves in the garage. I hate to get rid of my issues of Starlog—I have all the early ones, including the original number one, not the reprint they did years later. But realistically, they aren't worth much. I don't see them selling for a lot on eBay. I won't give up the souvenirs—too many lovely memories of vacations with Mom and Dad there—or the historical things, especially the hurricane memorabilia.

Amazing how the stuff is expanding to fill up a larger house!

I took one of my grandmother's chairs, the one with the most battered and scratched-up seat, polished it up and put it into our walk-in closet for sitting to put on shoes. These chairs don't look like much anymore. They never were anything fancy, just sturdy working-class chairs for what was a working-class family. At one time they were very pretty, with a rounded back and a flower motif set into the top of it, and the two front legs are grooved with two different colors of wood. But they've suffered from forty years in the basement and Dad using them for sawhorses and supports as well as being used for stepladders. Mom used to use one when she did her neck therapy long ago: she used to say it was time to "stretch my neck." There was a weighted bag of sand on one end of a pulley device and the other end attached to a sort of Velcro harness that Mom put on her face. Fifteen or twenty minutes every night she sat in the chair with her head in the harness and watched television. It was to keep her spine from compressing from the rheumatoid arthritis. I don't know how much it helped, but I know she never had a double chin!